Sunday, October 09, 2011

Up in the air

I was flying through the clouds on my magic carpet waving to the twinkling stars. My hands were just about to reach out and touch the moon when a gust of wind threw me off the carpet. And, with a thud I woke up. I had rolled off my bed in my sleep.

It was the Half Yearly Examination of 1993. I hardly remember that 8 mark question in the English paper now. It had something to do with writing a story. And this is pretty much the long and short of what I wrote. I got a 7.5 and much praise from Mrs.JS, my most favorite English teacher of all times. My friend wrote about some houses made of chocolate that children could lick whenever they felt hungry; he got a 7 on 8. I personally liked what he wrote much more than what I wrote.

And, I think that is the last time I did serious creative writing. Perhaps, it stems from a huge lack of imagination and a fear for dreams. I have never thought about it much.

Yesterday, I was on an early evening aircraft for a change. The sun was going down, and the sky was clear. The aircraft was almost empty and I was looking out of the window in a long, long time – not reading, not dozing off, not cursing the delay but just looking out. And, there was a sheet of clouds beneath me and clouds all around me. I was trying to imagine huge white cloud castles in a square shape, a tall tower on each corner, and a clown face with a gleeful smile at the gateway. I was building castles in the air, almost literally. Sometime then, I must have dozed off. For, when I woke up, it was already dark and we were landing. And, I think I felt alive in a very childlike way then.

It is nice to build those chocolaty homes and fly through the clouds with angelic wings, and live a fairy tale life, sometimes. It is nice to forget those concrete jungles, stressed out moments and robotic lives, sometimes. Perhaps, it is just nice to dream sometimes.

7 comments:

Ramya said...

Ah JS!

Kirthana said...

JS...She was a big influence....Well written!

Deepa and Srinath said...

yes, nothing quite like child like imagination. Totally worth keeping these precious moments of impulses alive !!!

J a G z said...

this comes straight from my heart kavity!!! tis one of the better better pieces uve produced in recent times may be te best also.. u know y??.. coz its very much like u.. creative, childish innocence and cute :)

RK said...

I guess this is your best piece yet! Simple theme.. but not an ordinary post :) Very neatly put!

Kavity said...

Thanks a lot guys :)

Yogesh said...

*Sigh*
Again, I can find nothing nasty to say!

:)